Orange Oil Benefits & Features
- Citrus sinensis peel oil expressed is an essential oil expressed from fresh epicarps of sweet orange Valencia, Citrus sinensis (syn: Citrus aurantium dulcis), Rutaceae (Anton C. de Groot, 2016)
- There are three different essential oils from the orange tree. The Orange from the peel, Neroli from the white flowers and the Petitgrain from the leaves. The essential oil is obtained from sweet orange (var. dulcis) and bitter orange (var. amara). (Sellar, 1992)
- Orange peel oil is a by-product of orange juice production. It is a non-heated oil product, often called ‘cold pressed peel oil’. (Anton C. de Groot, 2016)
- Sweet orange oil relieves nervousness, tension, and stress while encouraging energy, counters worry and balance physical and mental responses. (Suzanne G. Gray, 2002)
- Essential orange oil is germicidal and anti-inflammatory, making it an ideal ingredient for skin and hair.
- Its sweating action speeds out toxins in congested skin though it also appears to deal effectively with dry skin, wrinkles and dermatitis. (Sellar, 1992)
- Cold-pressed orange oil contains Vitamin C (Buket Aydeniz-Guneser, 2020). It is an essential nutrient for skin repair and one of the most potent antioxidants in the skin.
- This oil is not only for acne-prone skin. It has been shown to increase the capacity to absorb ascorbic acid, collagen synthesis, and the bloodstream, all essential for anti-ageing. (SANDHYA L. BORSE, 2019)
- Vitamin C and the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic & bactericidal (Lawless, 1992) properties of cold-pressed Orange essential oil can make the hair smoother and shinier.
- Vitamin C makes the hair bouncy and shiny and reduces dryness and dullness of hair. (Ruchi Tiwari, 2021)
- It is recommended for treating constipation and chronic diarrhoea. (Davis, 1988)
- It is very calming on the stomach, especially in nervous states. (Sellar, 1992)
- Aiding in Vitamin C absorption, which could ward off viral infections, is suitable for colds, bronchitis and fever conditions by lowering the temperature. (Sellar, 1992)
- The relaxing nature of Orange Essential Oil is very effective in painful and sore muscles & rickety bones and brings down the high cholesterol levels in the blood. (Sellar, 1992)
- It helps to clear up gloomy thoughts and depression, dispels tensions and stress, and encourages a positive outlook. (Sellar, 1992)
- Orange or Citrus sinensis contains limonene, linalyl acetate, terpene alcohol, phenolic acid, flavonoids, citral, carotene, and pectin—the Calming effects of C. sinensis effect on the central nervous system and mood improvement. (Mojgan Mirghafourvand, 2016 )
- Sweet Orange essential oil has a sedative and hypnotic effect, which can significantly reduce autonomic activities, shorten the delay of sleeping time and prolong the duration. (Yu Zhong, 2019)
Orange Oil Info:
Our Products with Orange Essential Oil:
Orange Oil Research Findings
Orange Essential Oil Chemical Constitution:
Orange oil Essential:
Orange Oil Benefits for Skin:
Orange is slightly astringent and used for general skin care, cellulite, and bad breath because of its pleasant taste and smell. (Keller, 1992) Its sweating action speeds out toxins in congested skin though it also appears to deal effectively with dry skin, wrinkles and dermatitis. (Sellar, 1992) Cold-pressed orange oil contains Vitamin C (Buket Aydeniz-Guneser, 2020)an essential nutrient for skin repair. It is one of the most potent antioxidants in the skin. Due to its antioxidant, nucleogenesis, and skin-lightening properties, its clinical applications range from photoprotection and antiaging to anti-pigmentation. (Firas Al-Niaimi, 2017 ) It is a good skin tonic. (Sellar, 1992)
Orange oil is also ideal for a child’s bath or baby oil. It increases the light sensitivity of the skin to ultraviolet rays. It has a refreshing, sweet, slightly tart scent that makes a summer bath even more enjoyable, mainly when mixed with lemon and bergamot. However, it should only be used in small doses as it irritates the skin. (Keller, 1992)
According to a study, orange peel cold-pressed oil can interfere with UVB-induced skin damage in mice. Orange cold-pressed oil treatment can effectively inhibit skin collagen degeneration by regulating the protein expression in mouse skin and alleviate the abnormalities of oxidation- and inflammation-related bioindicators in mice, thus protecting the skin from UVB-induced photoaging. (Guijie Li, 2020)
However, in future studies, clinical trials are needed to demonstrate the effect of cold-pressed oil and its methoxylated flavones on human skin. (Guijie Li, 2020)
Orange oil for skin whitening:
Orange Oil Benifits for Hair:
Essential oils can affect the skin’s cellular function after topical application. At the same time, they provide antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant benefits on the scalp, promoting an increase in the hair shaft density, having a cleaning effect on the hair bulb, and strengthening the entire bulb/stem system. (Ursulandréa Sanches Abelan, 2021)
Vitamin C and the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic & bactericidal (Lawless, 1992) properties of cold-pressed Orange essential oil can make the hair smoother and shinier. Vitamin C makes the hair bouncy and shiny and reduces dryness and dullness of hair. (Ruchi Tiwari, 2021)
Orange Oil Benifits for Body:
Orange Oil Benefits for Mind:
It helps to clear up gloomy thoughts and depression, dispels tensions and stress, and encourages a positive outlook. It revies feeling and energy when feeling bored and lacking energy. (Sellar, 1992)
Orange Oil and anxiety:
Orange Oil and Insomnia:
Previous studies on aromatherapy to improve sleep used inhalation, massage and other methods. Citrus and other essential oil mixture; results also show that aromatherapy significantly improves sleep. The use of essential oils may be a safe and effective treatment for or in the treatment of insomnia, which may reduce the overuse of prescription drugs and reduce the risk of sleep disorders affecting the health of the body in the short or long term.
The study found that the inhalation of Sweet Orange essential oil has a sedative and hypnotic effect, which can significantly reduce autonomic activities, shorten the delay of sleeping time and prolong the duration of sleeping time. (Yu Zhong, 2019)
How to Use:
Prolonged use and high dosage may irritate sensitive skin, and there is a chance of phytotoxicity as well. (Sellar, 1992)
Always test a small patch on the skin for sensitivity before applying essential oil over a large part of the body. The internal use of essential oil is highly recommended by professionals/Doctors.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can Orange Oil lighten skin?
Yes, Orange Oil can lighten skin. The abundant nutrients and antioxidants in orange peel prevent the skin from getting too oily or dry. It also works as a toner when applied to the skin, removing dead skin and dirt and tightening pores. It is a source of Vitamin C, which is beneficial for the skin. The enzymes present in the orange peel remove dead epithelial cells and cleanse the skin deeply.
2. Can Orange Oil be used on the skin?
Yes, it can be used on the skin. However, always use carrier oil.
3. Is Orange Oil good for hair?
Yes, Orange oil is good for hair. Vitamin C and the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic & bactericidal properties of cold-pressed Orange essential oil can make the hair smoother and shinier.
4. Is Orange Oil Comedogenic?
No, it is a non-comedogenic oil.
- Alina Mariana Balu, D. V. ( 2012, August 07 ). Valorisation of Orange Peel Residues: Waste to Biochemicals and Nanoporous Materials. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/cssc.201200381
- Anton C. de Groot, E. S. (2016). Essential oils contact allergy and chemical composition.
- Ashley J. Farrar, B. R. ( 2020, September 26). Clinical Aromatherapy. doi:DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2020.06.015
- Azizeh Farshbaf-Khalili, M. K. ( 2018, May). Comparison of the effect of lavender and bitter orange on anxiety in postmenopausal women: A triple-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial, 31. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2018.02.004
- Buket Aydeniz-Guneser, O. G. ( 2020, July 24). Chapter 45 - Cold pressed grapefruit (Citrus paradisi L.) oil. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-818188-1.00045-1
- Danijela Stanisic, L. H. ( 2020, October 3 ). New Sustainable Process for Hesperidin Isolation and Anti-Ageing Effects of Hesperidin Nanocrystals. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25194534
- Davis, P. (1988). Aromatherapy An A-Z (1st ed.). The C.W. Daniel Company Ltd.
- Firas Al-Niaimi, N. Y. (2017 , Jul 1). Topical Vitamin C and the Skin: Mechanisms of Action and Clinical Applications. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5605218/
- Guijie Li, F. T. ( 2020, February 12 ). doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.103834
- Ipek Suntar, H. K. ( 2018, May 02). An Overview on Citrus aurantium L.: Its Functions as Food Ingredient and Therapeutic Agent. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7864269
- Keller, E. (1992). Aromatherapy Handbook For Beauty, Hair, And Skin Care.
- Lawless, J. (1992). The Encyclopedia Of Essential Oils (1st ed.).
- Ma. Catherine Grace Mendoza Reyes RN, M. C. ( 2020, March 17 ). Effects of sweet orange aromatherapy on pain and anxiety during needle insertion among patients undergoing hemodialysis: A quasi-experimental study. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12447
- Mojgan Mirghafourvand, S. M. (2016 , May 11.). The Effect of Orange Peel Essential Oil on Postpartum Depression and. doi:doi: 10.5812/ircmj.30298.
- Ruchi Tiwari, G. T. ( 2021, April 30,). Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A traditional way to. doi:DOI: 10.2174/1874372202115010052
- SANDHYA L. BORSE, M. R. (2019, June). Formulation and Evaluation of Two Layered Soap, 11. Retrieved from https://www.proquest.com/openview/5b06490791ed742a738b0f148083908e/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=54977
- Sellar, W. (1992). The Directory of Essential oils (1st ed.).
- Sellar, W. (1992). The Directory of Essential Oils (1st ed.).
- Suzanne G. Gray, A. A. (2002, may/June). 17. Retrieved from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/153331750201700305
- Ursulandréa Sanches Abelan, A. C. ( 2021, June 8). Potential use of essential oils in cosmetic and dermatological. doi:DOI: 10.1111/jocd.14286
- Yu Zhong, Q. Z. (2019, November 11). Sedative and hypnotic effects of compound Anshen essential oil inhalation for insomnia. Retrieved from https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-019-2732-0
Papaya, a tropical fruit known for its deliciously sweet and vibrant orange flesh, offers a delightful burst of flavor and a rich source of vitamin...Read More
Nelumbo nucifera, commonly known as lotus, is an aquatic perennial plant cultivated in most provinces of China and even across many parts of the wo...Read More
Korean Red Ginseng
Ginseng has been used in Korea for a long time as a vital herbal medicine. It has gained fame as one of the most popular herbs originating from Ea...Read More